What is the Consumer Assistance Program?
The Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) provides financial assistance for qualified owners whose vehicles fail their biennial (every-other-year) Smog Check.

What kind of financial assistance is available?
CAP offers two options for consumers whose vehicles fail their biennial Smog Check:

Repair Assistance Program: Qualified motorists can receive up to $500 in emissions-related repairs to help their vehicles pass their Smog Check inspection. DO NOT REPAIR YOUR VEHICLE UNTIL YOU ARE APPROVED FOR THE REPAIR ASSISTANCE PROGRAM. The application can be found here http://www.drivehealthy.com/cap_app.pdf.
Vehicle Retirement Program: This Program is available to motorists who want to voluntarily retire their vehicle rather than repair it. Eligible consumers receive $1,000 in exchange for their vehicle. Approved vehicles must be driven to one of the state’s authorized dismantlers and pass a visual and operational inspection before the car is purchased and

How do I qualify for Repair Assistance?
Motorists may qualify for Repair Assistance in one of two ways:

Income Eligible – Your household income needs to be at or below 225% of the federal poverty guidelines to qualify for up to $500 in repair assistance. Qualified motorists must pay the first $20 towards diagnosis and/or emissions repairs.
Test-Only Eligible – Certain vehicles are required to have their Smog Check inspections done at stations that perform only tests, and no repairs. If your vehicle’s DMV registration renewal notice requires a Test-Only inspection, your vehicle may qualify for up to $500 in repair assistance. Qualified consumers must pay the first $100 towards diagnosis and/or
emissions-related repairs.

How do I know if I’m income eligible?
The CAP application includes an income-eligible table for applicants to determine if they meet the income requirements.

Where can I get an application?
You can obtain a CAP application by visiting the BAR Web site at http://www.drivehealthy.com/cap_app.pdf or by calling the Department of Consumer Affairs Consumer Information Center at 1-800-952-5210.

How do I apply?
You must first submit an application, and have it approved, making you and your vehicle eligible for the program. Do not have any repairs done until your application has been approved. You will then receive an approval letter with a list of participating stations where you can have your vehicle repaired or dismantlers where you can take your car to have it retired.

How long will it take to process my Vehicle Retirement application?
You will receive a written response within approximately six weeks.